Marvelous Mrs. Maisel New York Takeover for Season 5 Premiere
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is one of my favorite TV Shows, especially since it is set in New York, which in case you haven’t noticed is a city that I love. The insight into NYC in the 1950s through the eyes of Miriam “Midge” Maisel, a housewife turned stand up comedian, is a treat for its witty writing, stunning visuals, and exceptional performances by every single person in its cast.
I was looking forward to watching Season 5 – unfortunately the last season – on April 14, 2023, so imagine my surprise when I was walking to work in the morning and saw Fifth Avenue transformed into the Marvelous Mile to celebrate the premiere of Season 5 on Amazon Prime Video!
The already glamorous 5th Ave in Manhattan had a pink carpet running on either side of the Avenue, unexpectedly brightening up Manhattan even more on a crisp spring day.
Vintage Cars from Marvelous Mrs Maisel
The streets were full of vintage cars that we’ve seen over the years in the show, and even some modern taxis wrapped with Marvelous Mrs Maisel roaming around on the streets of New York.
The Marvelous Mrs Maisel Outfits
Saks, an important shopping destination through the years, had the outfits worn by Mrs Maisel featured in its windows by season, which was really cool to see.
Saks also had massive Marvelous signs on either side of the block, which were pretty Marvelous.
Black and White Cookies
The Black and White cookies which featured in the show, which were being handed out to passers by, were a popular treat.
There were plenty of photo op opportunities up and down Fifth Avene, which had people lining up to take pictures.
Marvelous Mrs Maisel Quotes
I love the writing of the show, with everything ranging from Midge’s sharp one-liners to her parents’ philosophical musings, all of which entertain and inspire in equal measure. They are a great commentary on gender roles and societal expectations, especially in the setting of a housewife turning stand up comic in the 50s. Here are some of my favorites.
From Midge Maisel
- “If women don’t realize what’s going on in the world, they won’t step in to fix it.”
- “I’m not a feminist, I’m just a woman who likes getting what she wants.”
- “I don’t want to be married to someone who’s better at holding onto a grudge than he is at holding onto me.”
- “I’m not a housewife, I’m a performance artist.”
- “I don’t want to be married to someone who’s attracted to me in spite of my brain”
- “I’ve never been to Paris, but I have been to the circus”
- “I’m sorry, did I offend you with my face?”
- “I’m not going to apologize for speaking in my normal, passionate, Italian-Jewish, loud voice”
- “I’m not the type to wait for things to happen. I make them happen.”
- “I’m not going to be ignored, I’m not going to be dismissed, and I’m not going to be told what to do.”
- “I’m going to be somebody. I’m going to make something of myself.”
- “I’m not going to let anyone else define me. I’m going to define myself.”
- “I want someone who loves me for who I am, not who they want me to be.”
- “I believe in love at first sight. It saves time.”
- “I want to be with someone who makes me feel alive.”
- “Love is not a feeling, Mr. Maisel. It’s an ability.”
- “Friends are supposed to be there for each other. That’s why they’re called friends.”
- “You don’t have to be blood to be family.”
- “Friends don’t let friends go through life alone.”
- “I’m not a hooker, but I am a comic. So basically, I’m a hooker who works for free.”
- “You don’t have to be a man to have a career. You just have to be a person with a dream.”
- “I’m not just a housewife anymore. I’m a housewife with a career.”
From Susie Myerson, Midge’s Manager
- “I’m sorry, I didn’t realize it was bring your bland, boring, potato salad to work day.”
- “You know what they say, behind every successful man is a woman who did it for herself.”
- “I’m not a magician, I’m a ventriloquist. I can’t make your career disappear, but I can make it look like a suicide.”
- “I don’t want to hear about your stupid problems, I have my own stupid problems”
- “I’m not your friend, I’m your manager. I’m not here to hold your hand, I’m here to kick your ass”
- “I’m not a hugger, I’m a fighter”
- “Friends don’t let friends quit.”
- “A true friend is someone who knows everything about you and still loves you.”
- “Friends are the family you choose.”
From Abe Weissman, Midge’s Father
- “The world doesn’t owe you anything. You have to make your own way.”
- “Sometimes you have to fight for what’s right, even if it’s unpopular.”
- “You can’t just sit back and watch the world go by. You have to be an active participant.”
From Rose Weissman, Midge’s Mother
- “I didn’t go to college, I got married. But I can still read, sweetie.”
- “Family is everything. Without family, what do you have?”
- “You can’t just run away from your problems. You have to face them head-on.”
- “Family is not just a group of people who share your DNA. It’s a group of people who love and support you no matter what.”
From Shirley Maisel, Joel’s Mother
- “You don’t get to choose your family, but you do get to choose how you treat them.”
- “When you have family, you have everything you need.”
From Sophie Lennon, Stand Up Comic
- “You have to be your own biggest fan, because everyone else is going to try to tear you down.”
- “You have to be willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead.”
- “You have to be willing to play the game, even if you don’t like the rules.”
- “I’m gonna be the biggest thing to hit this city since the blackout.”