Grand Central Eagles
There are two imposing eagles on Grand Central Terminal, one on 42nd Street and Vanderbilt Avenue, and the other on Lexington Avenue and 43rd Street at the entrance to the Grand Central Market. Both these are among the 12 original eagles from Grand Central that were acquired by private estates and institutions when the terminal was demolished in 1910, and have an interesting journey back to roost on their perches on this landmark in New York City.
The Vanderbilt Eagle is a one-and-a-half ton eagle on the viaduct that circles Grand Central Terminal. It formerly graced the roof of the original Grand Central Station in 1898, and in 2004, which is ninety-four years after the demolition of the station, this majestic eagle was returned to its former home.
The Vanderbilt Eagle was given to MTA-Metro North Railroad by the Capuchin Franciscan friars in 2001, after spending many years mounted on a bluff overlooking the Hudson River on the former estate of U.S. Representative Hamilton Fish in Garrison, N.Y. After undergoing extensive restoration, it was installed at this location, complementing the other original eagle perched above the entrance to Grand Central off Lexington Avenue at 43rd Street.
The Bronxville Eagle is one of the original Grand Central Eagles as well, and has a 13-foot wingspan. It is on Lexington Ave close to the rats of Grand Central. It was discovered hidden under a tangle of azalea bushes and hemlock trees in a yard in Bronxville, N.Y after new owners moved into the house in 1995. They had no idea it was there! There is a great article about its journey back to Grand Central here.
Both are very striking, and definitely worth looking out for on Grand Central.