Coordinates of New York City
As a New Yorker, I am endlessly fascinated by all things NYC, ranging from its people, its history, and even the coordinates of New York City. Located on the east coast of the United States, New York City is the largest city in the country, one of the most populous and one of the most globally recognizable cities in the world. NYC is made up of five boroughs, each of which is unique in its own right: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island.
You can see New York City outlined in the Google map below.
In this article I explore the coordinates of NYC, namely its latitude and longitude, which determine its exact location on the globe. These coordinates are important not just for navigation and mapping purposes, but they also provide insight into the climate and geography of the region based on where it lies in relation to the equator.
In the following sections, I will provide more details about the coordinates of New York City and some of its boroughs and landmarks.
- Geographic Coordinates of New York City
- Location of New York City
- Elevation of New York City
- Time Zone of New York City
- Population of New York City
- Location of New York State
- FAQ about NYC Coordinates
Geographic Coordinates of New York City
New York City is situated in the northeastern region of the United States. It is located at a latitude of 40.71427° North and a longitude of -74.00597° West.
Latitude of New York
The latitude of New York City is 40.71427° North, which means it is in the northern hemisphere. TheNew York City latitude is very close to the 40th parallel, which is halfway between the equator and the North Pole. The city is located at a distance of approximately 2,000 miles from the equator.
The latitude of New York City places it in a temperate climate zone, which is characterized by moderate temperatures and four distinct seasons. The city experiences warm summers and cold winters, with occasional snowfall and rainfall throughout the year.
Longitude of New York
The longitude of New York City is -74.00597° West, which means it is located to the west of the prime meridian. The city is situated on the east coast of the United States, often being referred to as the crossroads of the world.
The longitude of New York City is very close to the 75th meridian, which is halfway between the Prime Meridian (located in Greenwich, England) and the International Date Line.
Location of New York City
New York City is located in the northeastern part of the United States. It is situated on the east coast, specifically on the Atlantic Ocean. The city is located in the state of New York, and it is the largest city in the state. New York City is comprised of five boroughs, which are Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island.
Location of New York City Boroughs
The five boroughs of New York City are each unique and have their own distinct characteristics.
- Manhattan: The latitude of Manhattan, which is also known as New York, New York, is 40.7831° N and longitude is 73.9712° W. This is the most densely populated borough and is often considered the heart of New York City, and a place that I am privileged to call home. It has many iconic landmarks such as Central Park, Times Square, and the Empire State Building.
- Brooklyn: The latitude of Brooklyn is 40.6782° N and longitude is 73.9442° W. Brooklyn is known for its diverse neighborhoods and culture. It is home to many parks and attractions such as the Brooklyn Bridge and Prospect Park.
- Queens: The latitude of Queens is 40.7282° N and longitude is 73.7949° W. Queens is the largest borough in terms of land area and is known for its international cuisine and diverse neighborhoods. It is home to many attractions such as Citi Field and the US Open Tennis Center. I love visiting Queen for all the food options it has to offer.
- The Bronx: The latitude of the Bronx is 40.8448° N and longitude is 73.8648° W. This borough is known for its rich history and cultural landmarks such as the Bronx Zoo and Yankee Stadium, and home to hidden gems like the Loews Paradise Theater, which is unfortunately not open to the public.
- Staten Island: The latitude of Staten Island is 40.5795° N and longitude is 74.1502° W . Staten Island is the least populated borough and is known for its parks and beaches such as the Staten Island Greenbelt and South Beach. I love visiting Staten Island for its Sri Lankan food.
Latitude and Longitude of NYC Boroughs
To summarize, here are the coordinates of the five boroughs of New York City –
|The Bronx||40.8448° N||73.8648° W|
|Brooklyn||40.6782° N||73.9442° W|
|Manhattan||40.7831° N||73.9712° W|
|Queens||40.7282° N||73.7949° W|
|Staten Island||40.5795° N||74.1502° W|
Elevation of New York City
The elevation of New York City varies depending on the location. The highest natural point in the city is Todt Hill on Staten Island, which reaches an elevation of 409 feet (124.7 meters) above sea level. The lowest point is sea level, which is found along the city’s extensive coastline.
Time Zone of New York City
New York City is located in the Eastern Time Zone (ET) of the United States. During daylight saving time, the city observes Eastern Daylight Time (EDT), which is four hours behind Coordinated Universal Time (UTC-4). During standard time, the city observes Eastern Standard Time (EST), which is five hours behind Coordinated Universal Time (UTC-5).
Population of New York City
New York City is the largest city in the United States in terms of population. According to the United States Census Bureau, the estimated population of the city in 2020 was 8,336,817 people. The city has a population density of 27,547 people per square mile (10,643 per square kilometer), making it one of the most densely populated cities in the world.
The city is also one of the most diverse in the world, with a large number of immigrants from all over the globe. There are said to be between 700 – 800 languages spoken in New York City.
Location of New York State
New York City lies within New York State, which is situated in the northeastern region of the United States, is bordered by Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, and shares a maritime border with Rhode Island as well. New York State is the 27th largest state in the US, with a total area of 54,556 square miles.
The state encompasses a diverse range of landscapes and geographical features from the rolling hills of the Hudson Valley to the towering peaks of the Adirondack Mountains. The state’s location also plays a significant role in its economy, as it is home to one of the world’s largest financial centers, New York City. The city’s location on the East Coast makes it a hub for international trade and commerce, with millions of people passing through its ports and airports each year.
In addition to its bustling cities, New York State is also known for its natural beauty, including the stunning Niagara Falls and the Finger Lakes region, making it a popular destination for residents and travelers all year round.
FAQ about NYC Coordinates
What are the New York City coordinates?
NYC coordinates are latitude 40.71427 and longitude -74.00597.
What are the New York, New York coordinates?
New York, New York refers to Manhattan. The coordinates for New York, New York are latitude 40.7128 and longitude -74.0060.
What are New York Times Square coordinates?
Times Square is at the cross section of 42nd Street, Seventh Avenue and Broadway, and stretches North to 47th Street. The coordinates for Times Square in New York City are latitude 40.7589 and longitude -73.9851.
What is the New York longitude?
The New York City long is -74.00597.
What is the New York latitude?
The New York City lat is 40.71427.
What are New York City lat long?
NYC’s lat is 40.71427 and long is -74.00597.
What is Manhattan, New York latitude and longitude?
Manhattan is located at 40.776676 latitude and -73.971321 longitude.